Sunday, March 26, 2017

"Mixed Results," 3/26/17

My sister- and mother-in-law are here! I won't have time to write a full post today since we are busy hanging out with the baby. But I did do the puzzle while they were at the grocery store buying food for our poor empty fridge, so here are the results:

Time I finished: 46:33

It took me FOR.EVER. to figure out the theme of this puzzle. The themers were almost the last part I finished. Finally broke it open with the blue+red=purple one (blue hearts, red people eater) when we had _LU_HEARTS. I thought this was a clever puzzle and the fill was fun for once. Rex disagrees with me, but there's no pleasing him.

What did you think, loyal readers? What were you too old or too young for? What made you say "really?" Did you use your college major this week?

What did you learn? I learned that ERSE is a European language (apparently it's Irish/Gaelic). Given that I work at a language services company and know the names of probably at least 300 languages, I was pretty concerned that I couldn't fill this in early on, but I feel a little better now that I know it's an alternative and/or old-fashioned name.

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Dick Says:

    Glad the MIL is there with you as well as Fran. Feed Milo.

    I thought you would be most annoyed with "SHANE", the 1953 Wyoming "Classic". I was 4 then, and can't exactly remember the plot. ERSE has become a crossword standard.

    The theme leapt out for me, so it was fast going to complete all those squares and the related gi'mes. I stumbled in the LLHC (SW), due in part to SHANE but also stumbling on PAPAW. From a southern upbringing, this resonates as PAW PAW (as in "way down yonder in the .... patch") which I have now found is a/an etymologically and botanically derivative of the papaya. Who knew?

    But the most significant issue in the corner was the clueing of PSEUDO, which I think of as fake or sham, not FALSE. In my college days, this was a much applied antecedent to the then relevant term "hippie". Today we would use the term "wannabes". Back then we truncated the pseudo-hippie phrase and pronounced the result as "SWAYDO", just for further derision.

    BTW who knew SATNAV?

    Go Heels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's Annie that's here with Mrs. Fritz (I meant "sister-" as in sister-in-law, not plain old "sister"). But we shall all feed Milo in your honor.
      Jamie likes Shane, by way of Mr. Fritz, who is a huge Western fan, so we got away with that one. He had to come home from the store and fill that in before we got into that corner.
      Agreed on PSEUDO. I didn't know about the "swaydo" usage, that's good!
      Go Heels!!!

      Delete